Watch My Travel Blog - Click Here!Visit my YouTube page and subscribe at www.youtube.com/@acevedostudio to watvch my shorts recorded during some of my travels.
The content of my travel blog is designed for those who do not have the opportunity to travel and see these places in person. My intention is to inspire, but also to share with everyone. My videos are humble, as I am not a videographer, but they are made with love and the best of intentions. I hope you all enjoy them!
I am an intuitive artist.
I do not seek to fix the world or criticize governmental institutions through my work; rather learn from myself with every brush stroke and allow my mind to wander the state of sub-consciousness that I fall into during my creative process. My work does not speak about politics or demands you to recall the stresses of everyday living. The color palette I utilize varies from time to time because of an ever-changing mind that dictates it. Never one to follow recipes, I create my own mixture of mediums until I feel content.
My process includes a long stare at a blank canvas, a look around my studio for inspiration and finally a decisive moment of whether to grab a brush and paint or the keys to my car and leave.
The artwork I produce has been described as abstract-expressionist, but I have found that descriptive labels push me to stay within the limits of a movement and that counteracts with my muses. I humbly admit traveling the journey of experimentation and I continue the constant search for individualism within my body of work.
The materials I utilize to create my paintings are usually photographs, magazine cut-outs, acrylic paints, gesso, inks, pencils, dry and oil pastels, oils, enamels, colored markers and pens; applied to cotton rag paper or stretched canvas. A particular painting of mine could have all of these mediums or as little as one; it all depends on my vision at the moment and most importantly, my mood.
I believe that we are all artists in one way or another. It just so happens that some of us are cursed with a constant and overwhelming need for creativity while others find a way to ignore such urge. Talent is not necessarily what makes the artist; passion and perseverance does.
In The Studio
David Acevedo is considered one of southwest Florida’s most prominent artists. Since his arrival to the area in 2000, he has been crucial to the city’s cultural growth through his art, proposals, business accomplishments and event coordinating. Acevedo is one of the co-founders of the very popular Fort Myers Art Walk. He is the founder of DAAS CO-OP Art Gallery & Gifts, which houses over twenty-five local artists and operates as the only cooperative gallery in the city, the Union Artist Studios and most recently, the Arts & Eats Café – two other unique concepts promoting local artists in southwest Florida.
Regarding his artistic profile, his pictorial work is recognizable by the impeccably bold colors, textures, and clever compositions. He has, however, created darker imagery attributed to his silent resistance to conformity and established stereotypes. A notable part of his depictions is the hidden message or symbols in his work, drawing the viewer into each piece and creating intrigue. The work Acevedo produces ranges from vibrant Pop-like, expressionistic, and abstract. Not one to stay within the lines, he mixes mediums and techniques, unconventionally and unapologetically. A recognizable trade for this artist is the symbolic consistence and elements that represent a language. That, plus a beautiful balance of light and dark, plummet the mind into the world he has created. Currently, he is represented by local galleries and his work is collected all over the world. He has exhibited in part of the United States, Spain, and China (Hong Kong).
Acevedo grew up in a house nestled by the mountains and the ocean. As a child, he discovered the world of comic books and for years, he practiced copying the shapes of their bodies and analyzing the details and colors. He developed a keen eye for proportion and color. This influence is noticeable in some of his work today. This, mixed with a vivid imagination and a natural sense of resiliency, prompted the young artist to pursue his passions.
In 1998, Acevedo graduated Cum Laude with a degree in Visual Arts from the prestigious University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. Two years later, David was offered a job in Southwest Florida and moved to the area. Since then, he has established a solid reputation as one of the primary artists in the community, winning the title of Visual Artist of the Year in 2009 and a Gulfshorelife Magazine FACE Award in 2016 for his community work in diversity and inclusion. His first professional artist studio opened in 2006, later transforming into a pioneering art gallery called DAAS. It was after opening the first DAAS Gallery that he co-founded the popular Fort Myers Art Walk (2008), then serving in the core committee until 2012. Acevedo served in the Fort Myers Public Arts Committee from 2011 to 2012 as well. From 2013 to 2020, Acevedo contributed as Arts Editor for TOTI Media INC, publishing numerous articles for their five local and international publications. As part of his artistic endeavors, Acevedo has judged multiple exhibitions with award prizes for the Punta Gorda Visual Arts Center, the Fort Myers Alliance for the Arts, and Big Arts on Sanibel, among others. His reach has been extended by numerous featured articles in magazines such as Gulfshorelife, the Fort Myers Magazine, Happenings Magazine, the Fort Myers News-Press, D’Latinos Magazine, and others.
More information and online portfolio available at acevedostudio.com.
Professional Artist Studio – The Union Artist Studios 10051 McGregor BLVD STE 202 Fort Myers, FL
- *June 1-30 , 2024 – “The Randomness of All This Chaos” Individual Exhibition, Alliance for the Arts, Fort Myers, FL
- August 15 – October 15, 2023 – “Creative Minds 2023” Juried Group Exhibition online by Exhibizone, Biafarin Artist Management, selected piece: Monster-A
- August 10 – October 10, 2023 – “Unreal 2023” Group Exhibition online and Publication by Gallerium, Biafarin Artist Management, selected piece: La Casita
- March 3 – 30, 2023 – “We Exist” Group Exhibition, Cape Coral Art Center, Cape Coral, FL
- May 5 – 27, 2023 – “Divine Hypocrisy” Individual Exhibition, Sydney Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL
- February-April, 2022 – “Embracing Our Differences” Juried Exhibition, Piece: “For the 49,” Bayfront Park, Sarasota, FL
- July 3 – 31, 2020 – “Introspection” Individual Exhibition, Sydney Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL
- September 6 – November 4, 2019 – “Art Lives Here” Billboard Arworks Exhibition, Alliance for the Arts, Fort Myers, FL.
- September 6 – 26, 2019 – “Through Their Eyes” Group exhibition, Sydney Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL.
- October 13 – November 3, 2018 – “Tres ” Collaborative exhibition , DAAS CO-OP Art Gallery, Fort Myers, FL
- October 5 -26, 2018 – “Ten Years of Art Walk ” Collaborative exhibition celebrating the event’s first decade, Sidney Berne Davis Art Center, Capital Gallery, Fort Myers, FL.
- January 29 – March 12, 2016 – 10th Biennal National Art Exhibition, Visual Arts Center of Punta Gorda, FL, Piece selected: “Neighboring Towns” – Collective Exibition
- September 12 – October 2, 2015 – “Acevedo and Chiu: Worlds Collide” Collaborative exhibition and live art performance with Vera Chiu, 22 Degrees North Concept Store, Hong Kong.
- July, 2015 – “Con Acento en la O” – Curated by Ismael Delarge, Madrid, Spain – Collective Exhibition
- May 1- 20, 2015 – Intuitive Praxis, New Works, Sidney Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL – Solo Exhibition
- November 1, 2014 – Cooking for the Arts, Artistic Collaboration, Sidney Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL – Piece “Non Ce Nessuno”, Mixed Media on canvas, 16″ x 20″, 2014 – Auctioned to benefit the SBDAC Education Department
- October 3- November 2, 2014 Dark Arts Annual Group Show, Tincture Gallery, downtown Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition curated by Pushing Daisys.
- October 1-31, 2014 Individual Exhibition, Chico’s TAGA (Talent Gallery), Chico’s Headquarters, Fort Myers, FL – Corporate Collection Purchase: “Path of Discovery”, Mixed Media on canvas, 22″ x 28″, 2014
- July 4-30, 2014 Group Show, Tincture Gallery, downtown Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition curated by Terry Tincher
- March 3-31, 2014 “Latin Beat” , Big Arts Center, Sanibel, FL – Collective Exhibition (curated by David Acevedo)
- March 3 – April 27, 2014 “Art Poems” , Poetry and Art Collaboration, Big Arts Sanibel, FL and Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center Fort Myers, FL, Collective Exhibition
- October 4 – 29, 2013, “Protest Proposal Series”, Arts for ACT Main Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Individual Exhibition
- September 6 – 30, 2013, “Exposed: Face and Figure” and “Take a Nude Home”, Alliance for the Arts, Fort Myers, FL – Group Exhibition
- September 6 – 27, 2013, Five Year Celebration at Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center, downtown Fort Myers, FL – Group Exhibition
- July 12 – August 12, 2013, “International Contemporary”, SamaniegoArt Contemporary Art Gallery, Naples, FL – Group Exhibition
- December 7-31, 2012, Blush Lounge presents, The Art of David Acevedo, Hotel Indigo, Downtown, Fort Myers, FL- Individual Exhibition/Special Event
- October 2012 – February 2013, “Art Expressions of Latin America”, Fort Myers Museum of History, Fort Myers, FL -Collective Exhibition
- May 18 – June 22, 2012, H.O.T. Community of Artists, Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU), Fort Myers, FL- Collective Exhibition
- October 1-29, 2011, Guest Artist Program, Tower Gallery, Sanibel, FL – Invitational exhibition
- October 1 – 29, 2011, “Raices: The Root of All Things”, RodezArt.com Gallery, Coconut Grove, FL – Collective Exhibition
- Permanent Display, Commissioned Mural: “The Heart of the City’s Sky”, River District Hotel Indigo, Phi in the Sky Rooftop bar, Unveiled September 2, 2011
- June 4-25, 2011, “What Matters Most”, RodezArt.com Gallery, Coconut Grove, FL – individual Exhibition
- June 4-26, 2011, “Matters”, daas Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Individual Exhibition
- April 2nd-May 15, 2010, “Turn, Turn, Turn: The Synthesis of Vinyl to Art”, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL – Collective, Traveling Exhibition (http://www.flylcpa.com/turnturnturn)
- April 2nd-May 1st, 2010, “Buddha: Images of the Deity”, daas Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Juried Exhibition
- August 28th-30th, 2009, SECC (Scottish Exhibition & Conference Center), Homes and Interiors Exhibition, Ronnie Ford Stand, Glasgow, Scottland – Collective Exhibition
- August 22nd-Sept 18th, 2009, “SWFL Lives!”, Howl Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- August 7th-28th, 2009, “Frida: Thoughts, Blood & Flowers”, daas Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- June-July, 2009, “Acevedo:Revisited”, Cape Coral Public Library, Cape Coral, FL – Main Gallery Collection
- April 3rd – 24th, 2009, “Acevedo:Revisited”, daas Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Individual Exhibition
- September 19th – November 5th, 2008, “A Latin Art Affair”, Harborside Events Center, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- May 24th, 2008 -Reception Party, The New Metropolitan Restaurant presents: Visual Artist David Acevedo, – Individual Exhibition/Special Event
- March 21st-April 4th, 2008, “Adventure’Sim Abstract”, Sim Gallery at Cape Harbor, Cape Coral, FL – Collective Exhibition
- October 18th-December 31st, 2007, “Sim’s Tossed Collection”, Sim Gallery at Cape Harbor, Cape Coral, FL – Collective Exhibition
- October 20th-November 7th, 2007, Zombicon 2007 “Dark Arts” Exhibition, Space 39 Gallery, Downtown Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- October 6th-November 16th, 2007, “Art Expressions of Latin America”, Fort Myers Museum of History, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- September 22nd-October 3rd, 2007, “I Want It” @ Saks Fifth Avenue Department Store, Bell Tower Shops, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- August 10th-September 1st, 2007, “One Foot Square” Member Show, Alliance of the Arts, Fort Myers, FL – Collective Exhibition
- August 3rd-September 5th, 2007, “Etereo”, Arts for ACT Gallery, Fort Myers, FL – Individual Exhibition (main gallery)
- April 13th-30th, 2007, “Of The Earth”, Julia’s Arts Gallery, Matlacha, FL – Collective Exhibition
- March 24th, 2007, Art Extravaganza, Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers, FL (Part of Viva Fort Myers Hispanic Heritage Festival) – Private Exhibition for VIP Sponsors
- March 9th – 31st, 2007, “The Joy of Color”, Julia’s Arts Gallery, Matlacha, FL – Collective Exhibition
- February 2nd – March 1st, 2007, Zahara Florists and Gallery, Coral Gables, FL – Individual Exhibition: “To Lose A Limb”
- January 27th, 2007, 4th Annual Edison Celebration of Art Festival, Clifford Street, Downtown Fort Myers, FL – Juried Art Show, * 1st Prize Winner – People’s Choice
- May 23, 2006 – August 22, 2006 “VERVE” Collection, Gregory Alonso Design Studio Naples, FL, – Individual Exhibition
- April 22 – May 22, 2006 “VERVE” Collection, Rhythm in Motion Dance Academy Cape Coral, FL – Individual Exhibition
- April 7-9, 2006 Sawmill Campground Art Festival, Dade City, FL
- Feb. 11, 2006 Edison Celebration of Art Festival, Clifford Street, Downtown Fort Myers, FL – Juried Art Festival
- Jan. 21st, 2006 Rhythm in Motion Dance Institute, Grand Opening Reception, Cape Coral, FL – Exhibition of Commissioned pieces
- Oct. 21-24, 2005 Ivanhoe Hotel, Orlando, FL – Bear Bust 2005 Art Show
- April 8-10, 2005 Sawmill Campground Art Festival, Dade City, FL – 2nd Prize Winner Painting Category
- Dec 11, 2004 Via Artista Art Festival 2004 Downtown, Ft. Myers, FL Charity Event – Chalk painting on streets
- Oct. 12, 2004 Cape Coral, FL Public Library, – Collective Exhibition “El Pulso del Planeta”
- June 2004 Fort Myers, FL Broadway Palm Gallery – Collection Exhibition “Corpus” Series
- May 2004 Coral Gables, FL PR Federal Affairs ADM, – Collective Exhibition
- May 2004 Fort Myers, FL Art League’s Latino Art Festival, – Juried Show Prize: Merit “Odalisque”
- April 2004 Hollywood, FL Casa ABUFI, – Individual Exhibition “Portraits of My Island”
- Oct. 2003 Cape Coral, FL Public Library Gallery – Collective with Hispanic Artist
- May 2003 Fort Myers, FL “The Surreal Collection” – Organized by La Tertulia (Hispanic Art Group)-Individual Exhibition
- 2002 Café Brazil Fort Myers, FL – Acevedo’s Recent Works – Individual Exhibition
- 2002 Social Security Building Fort Myers, Fl, – Individual Exhibition
- 2000 Querubines en Infrarrojo, San Juan, P.R. – Private Exhibition
- 1999 Arte Joven, Art Museum of Ponce, P.R. – Collective Exhibition
- 1997 – 1993 Several Art shows organized by different art associations from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus.